This course was offered by Groton-Dunstable Community Education, Groton, MA.
Course: Backing Up Your Mac
Instructor: David Price
Location: Groton-Dunstable Regional High School, Groton, Massachusetts
When: Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 -- 7:00-9:00 pm
In seconds you can lose your family photos and videos, passwords, financial records, contacts, music, work documents and personal projects. All of your precious files can disappear instantly! Protect yourself from disk failures, user errors, fire, theft, electrical surges, or natural disasters.
If you are backing up your Mac properly you need not worry. If your computer suffers a disaster, you'll be able to recover from your backup.
In this class you'll learn the best backup strategy. You'll learn three key components of a successful backup plan, advice for backing up digital photos and massive video projects, and time-tested recommendations for setting up, testing, maintaining, and restoring backups.
The recommended text is an eBook that can be purchased at www.tekbasics.com/backingup.html. Print it out and bring it to class for reference and notes.
Learn how to:
• Design a reliable backup system. Learn how to make it thorough, ensuring that all your data is safe, and easy to manage.
• Shop for different backup media options such as hard drives (USB, FireWire, eSATA, or Thunderbolt), flash drives, optical media, tape drives, RAIDs, Drobo storage devices, and Time Capsules.
• Choose backup software and online backup options. Learn about key features, overviews and tips for noteworthy backup products and online services.
• Use Time Machine. Learn what goes on inside Time Machine, and how to best make use of Apple’s built-in backup system.
• Make backups. Get real-world suggestions for making the backup process as easy as possible.
• Use your backup to recover lost data successfully in the event of a hard disk crash or other disaster. Restoring your files is what's really important.
This course provides specific information for Macintosh users, but the overall approach also applies to Windows users.
About the instructor:
DAVID PRICE has been using Apple products for 29 years. He earned his graduate degree at Rochester Institute of Technology. He has taught technical courses at vocational high schools, colleges, high tech firms and community education programs. He is an Apple Certified Support Professional at TekBasics in Dunstable, MA and he is a member of the Apple Consultants Network.